Friday, January 15, 2010

Thanks John! I thought of more scary white stuff so you might want to consider these frights:

The Great White Hope this has to do with pugilism lined with racism, which of course is based on feer as we have heard from at least three of us on this blog.

On the other hand there is The Great White which as you may recall is or was a rock band famous for their pyrotechnique. A classic example of the law unintended consequences. Their fireworks show in New Jersey I believe started a fire which killed numerous fans. I suppose their name is supposed to be a combination of the great white hope, the great white whale, and the great white shark. Scary times three I guess. So if that was their purpose i.e. to take great risks and be edgy, it looks like they succeeded.

So I suppose if you really want to be scary or to be scared you have to combine White Stuff kind of like we use combination pills -- which is also scary. Also keep in mind that most pills including generics especially, are dead white, no pun intended.

So perhaps what would be scariest to be simply like this combination: the Ghost of a linen origami whale on sale at a Ku Klux Klan rally in Nantucket kicking the bucket -- and then the judgment. Plus the stuff in the middle of the Oreo cookie -- which has been killed numerous diabetics.

To be truthful, what brought this to mind was Little Lulu! Please allow me to explain. I spent my Christmas gift cards on a book called The Toon Treasury of Classic Children's Comics. I suppose everyone has figured out by now that I am quite addicted to comics and comic book materials. The reason I would recommend this book is that it is edited and selected by Art Spiegelman and Francoise Mouly who are respectively: the creator of "Maus" the visual parable of the Jews and the Nazis as portrayed by mice and cats; and the artistic director of the New Yorker.. So we have very fascinating collection with some very surprising inclusions. The next time you make a run for the Borders, I would suggest you look this over. The cartoon in which I am referring is on page 207 and is called "The Guest in the Ghost Hotel" . On the cover little Lulu is reading a book called Ghost Stories. Really quite cool. I will probably make reference to this later in regards to general subject of fear.

Also be sure to look at the comic strip, "Amos the Intellectual." !!!

3 comments:

  1. oooops! pasted wrong platz! sorrow! see Mr. Blogovich for refund.

    Speaking of Oops, there may soon be many Oops; Oola is getting married but she is having 2nd thoughts. Oops! bad example. Oop himself is having classic white fright at the altar-he may have the fight of his life. Don't miss the exciting conclusion (we hope, white out) of this long running "joke."

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up my father, the doctor, had a magazine stand in his waiting room. Along with Time, Life, Popular Science and Newsweek there were many comic books that I would read in my youth. I guess they were a perk from some pharmaceutical firm.

    I do recall one day after I was married and had a few children I was visiting my childhood home and went into the attic where I had stored all my comics and found them missing. My whole collection of Tarzan Annuals were missing! I asked my mother where they went and she said she was house cleaning and threw them all out. She didn't think I would want them any more. Little did she know that they had appreciated financially and I could have cashed in...lol

    Bill, do you know there is a comic book store in downtown LaSalle that specializes in modern comics? No more 10¢ comics as most of them run $5.00 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that! But I do want to know who left a graphic novel in my waiting room! Confess! Confess old woe-man! Bring out the soft cushions and the comfy chair!

    Actually it was probably some babushka--it's a litle darker version of the Bible--which does have some grewsum tales init. R. Crumb,t'hat wretcj like me, is finally at the top of his form with his graphically retold Genesis which has been on the top of some best cellar lists."The old tastes better."


    There was a funny fellow who would come to PK rallies with a banner saying, "Ban the Bible!"!"{I forget his reasoning but it wasn't what one would think) --there was also an attempt-probably sarcastic- to get Gideon Bibles out of motels on the pretext that they were full of sex and violence and not appropriate for children. For little kids who also read Shakespeare that could be a problem...Stephen, if u are reeding this, beware of King James who may korrupt Keziah kwhite kompetely as kwickly as a kwantum leep-- momentarily. (The Gideons may never approve another translation)(Iam not making this up)

    ReplyDelete