Sunday, February 7, 2010

What's it all about, Ava?

Wherein the author speculates about the most expensive and highest grossing movie to date:

Wherein the author/creator of said film, Mr. James Cameron, claims his film is a "perfect ecoterorism recruiting tool."

Is anyone else getting a whiff of irony here? Which Mr. Cameron perhaps did not intend? I would love to compare my carbon footprint with his!

There is also the fact that many young people who have seen the film come out quite depressed, some even expressing the desire to commit suicide if only you could end up in a place like Pandora. (Sorry that could be "Unobtainium.")

I will confess to all that I did not see the film Titanic and from what I am hearing I probably I will not bother to go and see this film either. For one thing, the storyline is not very robust, even for a science fiction production. I prefer my science fiction rather more complex and perhaps less dependent on expensive visual illusions. Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke come to mind. By Mr. Cameron's own admission, this may be sort of a high-tech version of, "The Triumph of the Will," or, "The Birth of a Nation," both of which were "quite staggeringly popular "at the time of their release.

One author's book that I would like to read is Kurt Vonnegut's masterpiece, "Slaughterhouse Five." I not sure if I will come out depressed or elated but I would like to comment that I was not particularly depressed after reading, "The Fall, "for reasons I will outline later. I do like my fantasy/science fiction but I am partial to stories that reflect the complexity, not to say the depravity, of human life as it really is. And the reality of having a Down Syndrome child and not even being able to experience the life of the child was reality as I have known it. And it continues to affect me to this day. Here is the point: the "unobtainium" of my life has presented itself--and been obtained-- through sadness, trials, and so forth. If I had to make a choice between watching all the movies I have ever watched, (save one), I would prefer at this point in my life to go through Samuel's birth and forgo the rest.

Relevant Question: what movie is being and has been watched by more people in the world than any other? Hint: low-budget,no-tech, no name actors, and no other movie comes close in terms of the numbers of those people who have watched it.

For all of the reasons noted above and many more, I would like to present the various Webster's meanings of, "avatar": "the incarnation of a Hindu deity such as Vishnu or Krishna; an incarnation in human form; an embodiment, as a concept of philosophy, often in a person; a variant phase or version of the continuing basic entity; and an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user, as in a computer game or an online shopping site."

I think the reality reflects the last description as the most appropriate definition of Mr. Cameron's Magnum Opus. And in view of his "statement of purpose," I would like to, in honor of Kurt Vonnegut, propose that the alternative title could be,
"Abattoir".

Apollyon: Suddenly I feel very, very good!

Igor: oh, master!

Apollyon: "Don't worry, it'll pass it'll pass.......... now, where were we? Obviously in the hands of a complete incompetent!
Day one: computers! "

From: Robert Duvall's version of the great Satan in the Monty Pythonesque Pilgrim's Progressite film, "The Time Bandits ." (four moons)

2 comments:

  1. Relevant Question: what movie is being and has been watched by more people in the world than any other?

    The answer to you question "The Life of Jesus" or just "Jesus".
    The movie was released in Oct. of 1979. As a theatrical release it was a flop as it was not technically a well made movie. It has been described as the protestant answer to that wonderful movie and mini-series "Jesus of Nazareth" directed by Franco Zeffirelli known for his opera movies.
    After it's disappointing theatrical release one of the most famous marketing strategies began and it is studied in universities today. A plan was formed by a christian group to raise money to show this movie world wide in multiple languages. It has been used as a evangelical tool my christian missionaries. The Jesus Film Project organization claims that 6 billion people have watched this movie beating out "Avatar". Advertising pays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An old friend of mine was want to caution me about being influenced by "spectacle" in our culture. Spectacle is a way of distracting our minds from those things that are good and beautiful.

    Much of modern day culture and I dare say ancient cultures were taken with all sorts of spectacles being it either gladiators of ancient Rome or films like "Avatar".

    I have also read the reviews of the latest blockbuster and they all say that the movie is stimulating to watch but it does not have much depth of story or character development. Like television it would appear to the conspiratorialist that some hidden agenda is behind dumbing down the masses and taking our minds off the world's real problems.

    I have to admit to being a film addict. The best thing that has happened to me lately is Netflix. With Netflix I can now bypass much of the latest Hollywood pablum that the video rental chains stock by the hundreds and get those less popular but to me much more
    important and interesting movies.

    When the red envelope arrives the first thing my girls ask "Is it another foreign film?". That translates into "Do we have to read the subtitles to understand the movie?". I have gotten them to watch and enjoy Bollywood movies (mostly chick flicks with an Indian theme) but it is a start.

    Bill, I am aware of your interest in India and I would recommend a trilogy of films by the renowned woman director Deepa Mehta. She is an Indian born Canadian film maker and her highly regarded films are "Fire", "Earth" and "Water". They are beautifully photographed and deal with modern era social problems of religion, politics, faith and caste.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete