Monday, December 28, 2009

New,clear physics

I notice that I mentioned First Things as the alter ego of the New Yorker but I have not included anything as yet from their pages..Bill Maher as told us that religion is a neurological disorder, a somewhat ambitious speculation. To be a disorder however would require us to find the order, that is what is normal. It seems to me that everyone has a religion, even Bill Maher. Especially Bill Maher; his statement is not testable or falsifiable but is a faith statement. He does not say "maybe," or "perhaps."

Nonetheless I do not defend religion.. I don't think religion--or politics--are a satisfactory response to Life.. In a cosmic sense, religion is abnormal, which is why most people can't get enough of it--it certainly can be an opiate--but it never satisfies anyone either. I have a religion but Jesus is not a religion, He is a Person. Religions can be broken down, but a person is a singularity. My religion,like my opinions,can change in an instant--but like Popeye, I yam what I yam..........

But this is not First Things' opinion however I do not take their opinion slightly, like the New Yorker they have excellent science writers such as Stephen Barr. In his book review of "Neuroscience and Religion: Delusions, Delusions, and Realities about Human Nature by Malcolm Jeeves and Warren S. Brown, he reflects:

"Fundamentally, we are in the same position today as Newton was: He discovered precise equations describing how mass in gravity effect each other, but he famously said, in his Principia, I have not been able to discover the cause of those properties of gravity........ and I frame no hypotheses,............ to us it is enough that gravitational forces really exist, and act according to these laws."

"It is no less reasonable to except the existence of both mental and physical aspects of reality and to say that they do in fact effect each other in predictable ways that can be described, without having and hand or even supposing that there exists a mechanism for that interaction. Indeed, this is really all that neuroscience itself can do. For instance, it can tell us that a lower than normal concentration of dopamine in the brain ways to the subjective experience aborted more apathy. It can find that electrical stimulation of a certain tiny region of the brain produces mental status reaching for mild amusement to hilarity"

No comments:

Post a Comment