Saturday, January 8, 2011

The story is told, in "The Silver Chair", of Aslan giving the two children a series of "signs" which they are to remember throughout their journey/assignment. Scrubb and Pole keep forgetting the signs, which they are supposed to recite day and night. Thus they always mess up, in the manner in which we all do, "continuously, continuously...."

Nonetheless, they are rescued from their mistakes and faults and doubts eventually. And we never hear again of the signs. Like the giants above ground and the underground kingdom under theirs, they have served their purpose--a purpose of which no one was really aware, excepting The Lion. The giant stone blocks at Harfang which declare,"Under Me" are never mentioned again, nor is the giants' castle from which the words were seen by the trio as they languished in captivity. Rather like Giant Despair and Diffidence...

So it is that the mysterious signs, for all practical purposes, disappear. They had one purpose, relating to 3 people in the flesh, as a schoolmaster to and about the flesh and as much about overconfidence in the flesh as anything. They are not like, "The Law" of Ezra and Nehemiah, which even after it has served its schoolmasterly function as a precursor to The Lion by Another Name, still persists. The Ten Commandments refuse to go away, even in the breach--maybe especially in the breach, and in our tendencies to slide back to the beggarly elements of our understanding; until the time comes when we, like the publican in the temple, admit our beggarly standing and beat our breasts because we have no hope of justifying ourselves before God or even before the Pharisees/Sadducees who run the place as if they owned it....

What I am trying to say by way of illustration, is that this blog is over. I have come to the point wherein I believe I have made my point, and have therefore gone beyond my focal point into mere stream-of-consciousness meandering. The blog has blogged down because it has overextended itself.

What was the point, then? Simply that the universe is person-based, not arbitrarily governed by chance or dance or any of so many confederacies of dunce-dances. And that when the Holy Spirit departs because we insist that everything has to make complete sense to us (logically a fool's errand of course), then one is left with a void only because we have so chosen a void--which does not even exist, as I recently hypothesized; that we prefer nihil and an-nihil-ation to Full-Orbed Reality. First and foremost, "being and nothingness" is an evasion of somewhat difficult assignments, as was the case with Pole and Scrubb. We also use entropy to excuse our laziness and the preference of our wills for, as AA puts it, some "easier, softer way." Which always crumples in the face of testing, and is not even personally satisfying; and we can eventually get to Screwtape's desires to see that we get to the end and see, in delectable despair, that we did "neither what we ought NOR what we liked."

I may have mentioned early in the blog that I was inspired to start this by a literal sign; one which I always intended to share herein, but is now irrelevant. Because it had a purpose, for me, and not for anyone else in the formation of Bassocontinuo, it would be only an embarrassment to my limited readership. It is also a sign that would be mocked because the context was unique and because the world only accepts miraculous signs if they portend what McWorld wanted in the first place; false prophets are always preferred by the majority. While I am not a prophet, I have great sympathy for Jeremiah, who was attacked by several prophets at once who cried "Peace, peace.." at a time when there was only war and more war. I have often majored on O'Connor because her voice was prophetic and because if people can't or won't hear what she said so well in both her fiction and esp. her letters, why in the world would they believe me?

That is another thematic element of the blog which never was developed properly, like so many of my dangling one-sided conversations. To wit, "They have Moses and the prophets; if they do not hear them, then they would not believe even if one should rise from the dead." Are my frail and trailing-off words to be compared in any way to the words of Moses and the true prophets, much less to be compared to the fulfillment Words/Logos of Christ, in whom is the Fulfillment of the Law?

"A Prophet, and more than a prophet, is here." "Of which Moses spoke." "Moses would not do" what most people were/are doing, neither in 33 AD or now. Will "religin an' polly-tickin" really save the day? Will philo-sophy, or sophism itself, suffice, even at the end of the day, much less at the end of our lives, not to even imagine an extension to the "end of the Age"?

"This is my Beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased...hear ye Him."

4 comments:

  1. Well good things don't last forever. I will be saddened to see an end to your thoughts and rants. I so looked forward to your posts that I had my computer set up to notify me of a new entry on your blog.

    Now that you know how easy a blog is to write perhaps you can start another one on a different theme. I hope this isn't the end of your literary attempts. Perhaps that great novel is still to be written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, actually.........that's a long story. (a novel is a long long story and not usually very novel)

    I thank you, Dennis, for being a regular reader, and am thankful that some small pleasures were there for you. I would also thank Joyce for her interest and patience, and for those occasional readers who may have peeped in. I enjoyed writing it. And yes it's pretty easy to do but sadly it never grew as I hoped it might--I am also a very poor promoter.

    Here's one possibility: "The Journal of Fretting Leprosy" see the medical side of Leviticus KJV. Hmmmmmm.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had known about Leviticus Ch. 13 a couple of years ago as I would have pointed it out to my wife. While attending a birth of one of our grandchildren in Missouri she ran over an armadillo at night. There are quite a few armadillos in central Missouri. The following morning she saw it dead on the road and stopped to pick it up and bring it to the house for the children to observe. It only had a small crack but it must have be enough to do the creature in.
    I did a little internet surfing about armadillos and was surprised to find that they can carry Hanson's disease. So far I have not observed any unusual lesions on her but now armed with Leviticus I many have to make a closer inspection of her body...lol

    ReplyDelete