Saturday, September 18, 2010

THE MAIN THING IS...NOT A THING ATALL

Answer: a dovecote is a painted dove.
(question-see previous post )


This is but the beginning of sorrows...

I am breaking up what follows simply because it is so hard for people to read dense text; but also I want to KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING, at least once.

It is far less than clear to me (or to thee as I suspect) as to God's reason for encouraging me to continue this blog. But I will say that when I am clearest, people don't like it. I must also be in debt to Dennis again for taking a second look at my Emperor's clothes closet--I was wondering how long it would be before anyone challenged me on this; but like "iron sharpens iron", it helps to take the clarity challenge--seriously. So let me be serious for a few paragraphs.

**********************************************************

For those who may have come in late, Dennis took me to task for introducing the religio-political axis again, and not being philosophical enough--and I can be both, indeed! Too much so, "O yes"

This comment was sparked by 3 very short notes--not original with me by the way--saying that Jesus is "all in all" even though the details of this are just what we need and not a speck more; --but much less than we demand. If we half understood what we have already been given-- with much more clarity than the human mind can stomach or apprehend....

But, as with the observations on the doves, I got these three observations brought to my mind "on the road" and they stuck to me well after the journey-- something which most of my thoughts do not survive. The first ("everyone will disappoint you but Jesus") was actually something said by a physician friend who graduated from Johns Hopkins and then took off doing all the things I had well enough been afraid to do. But this borrowed discovery gives me freedom from having to change people, if you draw this out to its corollaries. Most of us are very lame at logical extensions, as Descartes often pointed out, irritably.

However, I must point out that exactly where I departed most from religion and politics, I am accused of failing my stated purpose. "How can such things be!?"



&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&


Again this is not original with me (what's original with me is not very original, either) I have never made a systematic study of logic. But the idea of a "category mistake" is a crucial one because it is being used ever more than ever in the present day, with predictably sad results.

Back to the rock/Rock illustration from last week--as it was explained to me, in far fewer words, to put God and a rock on the same plane, is like saying that a food tastes "yellow" or "green" (Green could suggest any thing from mint to brussels sprouts to a place in Wisconsin) To say that as green is to the eye, so is mint to the tongue, is a poetic device employed in literature, not in any logical categorical sequence. We are then talking about two different sensory systems, even though they belong to the same body. This is the source of a lot of the "guilty by association" mistakes we make, sometimes deliberately, which is at the heart of the religio-political axes currently being ground in our country.

(It is amusing to me how political people accuse others of different persuasions of telling us "half truths". Heck, yes! That's actually a lot more than can or should be granted to any one of us! Either side, or any side, speaker included, would be be excellent if we were one-tenth of one percent right--Einstein's estimate.

Put both parties together and you get the whole truth and nothing but? Make me LOL!!

Is philosophy worth more than politics? Not according to Sartre! But O I digress.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Next up: some examples. Hint: the dove is to the dovecote as Christ is to the church.

Happy Isaiah 53 Day!!!

3 comments:

  1. Answer: a dovecote is a painted dove.
    (question-see previous post )

    A dovecote or dovecot (Scots: Doocot) is a building intended to house pigeons or doves. Dovecotes may be square or circular free-standing structures or built into the end of a house or barn. They generally contain pigeonholes for the birds to nest.[1] Pigeons and doves were an important food source historically in Western Europe and were kept for their eggs, flesh, and dung.[2] In Scotland the tradition is continued in modern urban areas.

    I am not sure how you came up with a painted dove unless you were thinking of dovecoat...lol

    Now I have to wonder what is meant by Next up: Dovecote and Church

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aquinas’ understanding of omnipotence also survives the paradox of the stone. For if God exists then he is a being that can lift all stones. A stone that is so heavy that God cannot lift it is therefore an impossible object. According to Aquinas’ understanding of omnipotence, remember, God is able to do anything possible, but not anything impossible, and creating a stone that God cannot lift is something impossible.

    It is like God making a square circle. By definition there can be no such thing.

    A very good post. Bill has got his groove back....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yes, Master," (Igorian voice)

    "It was a 'play' on words, as you say," (groans)

    "I meant no harm." (grovel grovel)

    "Please forgive your incompetent servant who is so very clumsy!
    (Rattling of chains. Wind rising.)

    ReplyDelete