Saturday, April 24, 2010

The sight of one young tree grappling with the prairie winds is worth more than 50 years of the clash of cymbals and the roar of the drums....

"IF it's only a (cymbal), then to hell with it" c apologetics to Miss O'Connor.

This was my thought on returning from church last Sunday which was my last "regular" appearance on the drumset with the worship team. Yetz, I have resigned/retired from this task after at least 30 years of service. It was always my thought that I would continue this "Performance Art" only so long as it was required; i.e., if I was invited and no one else would do it. But finally, as an answer to my prayers perhaps in part, not one but two youngn's have come up from the ranks and actually want to play with and for adults: Nathan Kalita and Eric Moore, Eric being a childhood friend of Daniel's..Dan is also still playing --and preaching-- at Rock Church in the Phoenix/Gilbert AZ area.
Bless 'em, Lord!!!<

I will however be available for backup if they can't and if I am invited to participate. But..I looked online to see if there were any jazz bands in the area (there aren't--but you guessed that already) Interestingly, there were ads for drummers-- but they all specified age limits--there was not one band who wanted anyone older than 35... are we surprised?

I do not expect any callbacks!!! But I think it pure grace that I was allowed to play in public all the way up to age 61! I have found that it is a far better audience in church than elsewhere -- and much better for a morning person like myself. You might say that the level of acceptance seems to be about double what one can expect from McWorld. But it does not go on forever, thank God. There is a point at which one must retire gracefully, and that point has nothing to do with skill but has entirely to do with acceptance and invitation, not just need. In a way, I have been retired by the bad economy. We had to let go of our assistant pastor, David Lade and his wife Stephanie, and they were the ones who consistently wanted me to play with with them especially on Wednesday nights.

I do expect to spend more time now playing more quietly with my recorders. Stephen and Grace and girls will be arriving in less than a month, so I must practice, practice, practice!!!

(Incidentally, even though Dragonspeak is far less than perfect, it makes it possible to write with a purring cat on your lap and give attention to his fur her with both hands. CatFans, take note!) (You just have to keep him off the keyboard.)

Joyce, I am so glad that your church also welcomes you without looking at your birthdate-- or Social Security number, I might add. Once again, it is clear that we are strangers and aliens especially to McWorld. Alienation is then the norm, and complacency is the enemy. Just like the young poets have always said. Again I say rejoice, Bob Zimmerman et.al. und inter aliases. It is entirely possible to age and still be alienated -- the only question is, alienated from what or Whom...

"Who is to be Master, that's all."

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry dad, you can always come play drums with me :) I'm very proud of you and your years of service, and I'm sure that this particular void in your life will be filled soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - my church had better not care how old we are, since most of us in the choir are over age 50! However, it's not moldy old Latin hymns by any means. We do lots of contemporary music and for the big liturgies, we do Latin-rhythm bilingual stuff.

    I serve regularly as a cantor and even get to play my old guitar (still have my original 1967 Yamaha 6-string dreadnought with its dove-and-peace-symbol hippie strap!)

    It's truly about the gifts, not the calendar. All are welcome and valued - the immigrants and those of European descent - even if we are now the true minority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, folks, I'm speechless. WELL not really.
    Thanks every body: a willing bod is worth a thousand precepts to paraphrase our church sign.To be an exemplar is good too but not a judgment I am allowed to make--and perhaps only He that knows the human heart can do so!

    Shucks folks I'm clueless.. but.."There you go again..."

    ReplyDelete