Friday, July 9, 2010

Med school tales part 1

Meanwhile, back at the ranchero................we join again our rank hero.....

Life got very busy recently with the rapid onset of many admissions, so it hasn't been very easy to communicate even on Tuesdays. But over our long weekend in Green Bay, that great city of the North, I got to thinking about how I got into medical school, by a very strange and circuitous route which very few people know. It might make a good story for some even though I am not much of a storyteller.

Flash back to the Vietnam era. With the urging of my girlfriend at Shimer, we both applied to various medical schools but she requested that, Shimer being such a small school, that I not compete with her for the "easy" -to- get -into med schools, i.e. the Illinois schools, her theory being that they would only take one of us. It may not have ocurred to me that I would not be accepted so I applied to out-of-state schools and even Canadian schools, thinking that surely I would get into one of them. I was aware that the competition was stiff because acceptance into medical school would defer being draft eligible for up to six years or more. But only for males of course. Perhaps I was not appreciative of how many people were applying, many of them for exactly the same reasons that I was applying. When I was turned down by all the schools, I was summoned to Chicago for my armed services physical and passed with flying colors, being declared 1-A. Therefore I did what many Americans were doing, and enrolled at the autonomous University of Guadalajara , a very easy school indeed to which to gain admission. The only problem was that I had to move to Mexico!

Not a good thing for a true romantic!! To say that this changed my life would be an understatement. It in fact changed all my relationships and it certainly did not feel good at the time. But as a test, it excelled. I would not have gained any fluency in Spanish without this experience, for one thing. This alone changed the character of my future medical practice to a profound degree. But there is much more than this. I will have to serialize this experience in order to do it justice. More later.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting story. Dr. Perales of LaSalle received his degree from the University of Guadalajara. Of course he was of Mexican heritage and was already fluent in Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say, Dennis, old bean! I just "inherited" one of his patients today! "O what a lucky man he" is!!!

    totally unrelated question-I heard that you can obtain Marmite and Vegemite. I just finished 500 grams of Marmite--it only took me about 10 years! So I was thinking of a smaller jar. I checked the English Tea Co. and the shipping was almost as much as a jar of each!

    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the bye, there are two Universidades de Guadalajara. The "Autonoma" is a private enterprise and used to interrupt classes to give speeches against "Hanoi Jane" Fonda and her pernicious influlence. The University of Guadalajara used to refer to our school as the "Automatica,' or the Automat of Med Schools, just slightly above the medical school in Grenada.....any pit in a storm as they say....you just can't share it with an atheist....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never made it clear if you ever attended school in Mexico or only applied there? If you did go to school in Guadalajara did you ever venture south to Lake Chapala. It is becoming a very popular place for Americans and Canadians to retire.

    As for your question about Vegemite, Jean was given a jar as a thank you gift from a couple from Australia that she helped with a delivery. We tried it but it is definitely an acquired taste. I don't know if she still has it or she got rid of it. I will have her look.

    I prefer to get my vitamin B from a nutritious draught of Guinness Stout...lol You do know that these spreads are made from the by product of beer making.

    Tell Flo that Marmite is available from the coop. It is supposed to be milder than Vegemite and less bitter.

    You can buy a single 4.4 oz jar for $4.77
    0331553 Marmite Yeast Extract
    Page 69 of the August UNFI catalog.

    ReplyDelete